Alumni Guide to Borrowing
Levels of Access
Alumni of Yale University may apply for any three levels of library privileges as described below. Upon request, recent graduates will receive borrowing privileges for free in the 3 months immediately following graduation, click here for more information.
Rates and Details:
Maximum Number of Borrowed Items
N/A, request 20 items
Alumni Standard Borrowing
$45 per 3 month
Alumni Premium Borrowing
$60 per 3 month
All circulating library materials may be recalled by another reader. You will be sent a notice in case this happens
How do I register?
Alumni who wish to use the Yale University Library collections must register in person at the service desk located in the nave of Sterling Memorial Library (SML). To register, you will need to provide a current government issued ID. The following documents are acceptable forms of identification for registration:
Driver’s license (from U.S. or Canada)
U.S. or foreign passport
- Alien registration card with photo (INS form I-151 or I-551).
How do I renew?
If you wish to renew your borrowing privileges, please call or visit us at the service desk during business hours. We can be reached at 203-432-1775 and will accept credit card payments with a Visa or Mastercard over the phone.
Explanation of Pass Options
- Access to the Sterling Memorial Library stacks
- No borrowing privileges
- Retrieve materials from Sterling, LSF and Mudd collections (20 items per day)*
- Access to Library facilities for all open hours (some exclusions for School and Departmental libraries – please inquire at specific location before arrival)
Alumni Standard Borrowing:
- Check out materials from any library
- Building Access – allowed until closing
- 3 month minimum purchase; discount for yearly purchase
- Loan length – 61 days or date of expiration, whichever is lesser
- Book limit – 15 books
- Eligible for Interlibrary Loan and Scan and Deliver (not eligible for Borrow Direct)
Alumni Premium Borrowing -- same as standard except for the following:
- Book limit – 50 books
*Use “Place Requests” to retrieve materials and have them delivered to the circulation desk of the selected Yale University Library. Allow two business days for delivery of items between libraries.
Access to Electronic Resources (Databases, online journals, etc.)
Access to electronic resources is contractually limited to currently employed faculty and staff and currently enrolled students of Yale University and its immediately affiliated institutions, and therefore does not allow remote access to Non-Yale users. At least one research station with access to Yale Library's subscription database and electronic resources is available for use at each library.
Yale alumni can also register for free access to the online database JSTOR. Registration required.
Chat with us!
Contact Privileges Staff
Send questions to Privileges / Sterling Memorial Library Circulation
- Phone: (203) 432-1775
- E-mail: email@example.com
The Privileges Office is located on the ground floor of Sterling Memorial Library in the nave.