- From the Zotero window at the bottom of your screen, click on the plus button; 'new item'
- Select material type.
- Enter information in the pane on the right hand side of the Zotero window
Direct Export from your favorite database (in general):
- Make sure the Zotero application is open
- Conduct a search and click on the Zotero icon in your browser (it will be a book icon, a folder icon, or a paper icon)
- Item will be saved immediately in your Zotero library. Drag the reference to the appropriate Zotero folder
- You can also export a citation using the RIS file option if available
Writing a Paper
- The Zotero Word Plug-In should have downloaded automatically; see here to install manually.
- Open Word. The tool bar will be under 'add-ins' on a PC or 'view' 'toolbars' on a MAC
- Place your cursor in your document where you would like the citation to be.
- Choose the citation style then click 'ok'. A large Zotero search box will appear.
- Search for your citation and hit the return button.
- To insert the bibliography into the paper, click on the third icon on the tool bar: 'insert bibliography'
Create a Bibliography
- Highlight one or more references in your Zotero library
- Right click or control-click on Macs) to select 'Create Bibliography from Selected Item(s).'
- Select a citation style for your bibliography format and choose an output format.