General Research Tools
Additional relevant subject guides
Yale subject librarians have prepared many other guides potentially of value to researchers in topics relating to Judaic Studies including:
- Art and Art History
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Divinity School
- Fortunoff Video Archive for Holocaust Testimonies
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Gender and Ethnic Studies
- Mass Communications
- Near Eastern Languages & Civilizations
- Religious Studies
This guide is intended to facilitate all aspects of research and teaching in Judaic Studies. The Yale library has extensive opportunities for the study of the Judaism including history, religion, culture and languages. We have resources here such as Yiddish song sheets in the Music Library, DVDs from Israel, Europe and America, microfilms of books and journals, and of course books. You will find in the guide references to primary and secondary sources in the university's own collections and links to subscriptions to external sources. Although by no means a comprehensive list of resources available, this guide assembles selected documents and collections that may be of particular interest to students and researchers working on a wide range of subjects in Judaic Studies.
Search in ORBIS for Hebrew materials by typing your query in Hebrew characters or use Eglish characters to transliterate the Hebrew according to Library of Congress rules as indicated on the following chart: Romanization of Hebrew alphabet
- RAMBI--The Index to articles in Jewish Studies. You can search in Hebrew and in English
- Mafteaḥ le-khitve-ʻet be-ʻIvrit (Index to journals in Hebrew)
- Bar Ilan Responsa Project--This Online Responsa Project encompasses Jewish sources representing a period of over three thousand years of heritage and tradition. One can search in English but the texts are in Hebrew
- Judaica Journals Online, a selected but extensive list of journals related to many aspects of Judaics studies.
- YIVO Encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe
- Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World
- ATLA Religion Database
Academic Search Premier -- A scholarly, multidisciplinary full-text database for many of Yale's journal subscriptions, with indexing and abstracts for many more, covering nearly every area of academic study.
WorldCat -- A resource of over 1 billion records of books and other materials held in more than 10,000 academic, public, special and national libraries around the world. Use WorldCat to locate materials outside of Yale, in almost any area of study, or to locate items in specific libraries and research collections.
Google Scholar -- Searches academic publishers, professional societies and pre-print archives. If Yale has purchased full-text electronic access, a link to the full-text appears with the search result.