The entrance to the Gates classroom is at the back of the Linonia & Brothers (L&B) Reading Room in Sterling Memorial Library.
Finding the Linonia & Brothers (L&B) Reading Room:
- From the main (High Street) entrance to Sterling Memorial Library: Turn right immediately after passing through the security turnstile just inside the door, pass the "Book Return" bin, and turn right again into the L&B Reading Room (Room 165).
- From the York Street entrance to Sterling Memorial Library, the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), or elsewhere inside the building: Pass through the Nave towards the main (High Street) exit, turn left immediately before you reach the security kiosk, pass the "Book Return" bin, and turn right into the L&B Reading Room (Room 165).
You'll know you're in the L&B Room by the 19th-century Albion hand press you pass on the way in, and the overwhelming GREENNESS of the furniture and carpet.
Finding the Gates Classroom:
- Walk to the back of the L&B Room, towards the fireplace. The door to the Gates Classroom is to the right of the fireplace.
Gates Classroom Lockers:
- Because the Gates Classroom is a secure classroom, and guests may be handling irreplaceable special collections material, all personal belongings, food, and drink must be secured in a locker prior to entering the Gates Classroom. The Gates Classroom is continuously monitored by video surveillance cameras.
- We welcome pencils, notebooks, texts needed for a class session, laptops, and cameras in the Gates Classroom. Please silence your cell phones before entering.
- 20 lockers, reserved for the use of those visiting the Gates Classroom, are in the last alcove on the left, to the left of the fireplace at the back of the L&B Room. Instructions for the use of the lockers are on the inside of each locker door.