Zotero is a citation management program for your desktop with cloud storage online. Zotero helps you collect and organize your research information, including books, articles, chapters, news, archives, and more. With Zotero, you can manage citations; take notes; save, organize, and annotate PDFs; insert citations to a Google Doc or Word document; and create a bibliography.
For more information about Zotero, visit the Yale Library's Guide to Zotero.
To get started with Zotero:
- Download and install the Zotero software and the Zotero Connector on your computer.
- Create an account, which will enable you to save your Zotero library to the cloud.
- Within the Zotero application, start by creating a new "Collection" for your research paper or project (Recommended)
- Select "New Collection" icon above the left pane and give your collection a useful name. Collections will help keep your information organized.
- Conduct your search in a database, the open web, etc.
- When you find an item you want to save, click on the Zotero Connector icon in your browser and the item will be added to your collection automatically.
To create a bibliography:
- Select each item in your collection that you want in your bibliography and right-click
- Select "Create Bibliography from items..." (see image below)
- Choose the citation style you want (Chicago, MLA, APA, etc.) and your output method (Recommended output: Copy to clipboard or RTF)