Eligibility for BorrowDirect Plus On-Site Borrowing
As of October 1, 2014, faculty are eligible for free on-site borrowing privileges from all Borrow Direct institutions and Duke University. To see a full list of participating instutions along with links to each institution's policies, please visit http://www.borrowdirect.org/on-site-borrowing.
Faculty Guide to Borrowing
How long can I borrow?
- 1 year at Bass, Divinity, Music, Sterling Memorial Libraries and the Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI).
- 6 months at Arts Library, with option to renew 1 time, for a total of 1 year.
- 2 Months at Geology, Mathematics, Cushing/Whitney Medical Library.
LOAN PERIODS VARY FROM ONE YALE LIBRARY TO ANOTHER. All circulating library materials may be recalled by another reader. You will be sent a notice in case this happens
Can I have some one else check books out for me at the library?
Faculty may designate assistants as proxy borrowers by following these steps.
How many books (or other types of loans) can I check out at once?
- Regular Member of the Yale Faculty: 300 books/loans
- Summer Faculty: 25 books/loans
Loans from any collection, including requests from the Library shelving Facility (LSF), are counted.
How much am I charged if I'm late returning a loan?
- Faculty are generally not charged for regular overdue books (exceptions: Cushing/Whitney Medical Library). However, the Library appreciates the timely return of books.
- Lost or long-overdue material: Material that has not been returned 35 days after the due date will be declared LOST automatically. The patron will be assessed a $75.00 Unreturned Book Fee and a non-refundable $20.00 Processing Fee, as well as the overdue fines.
- Other types of overdue fees:
- $2.00 per day for overdue books that have been recalled.
- $2.00 per day for 3-day reserves.
- $3.00 per hour for reserve 2-hour and 24-hour reserve books.
- The due date stamped or receipts placed in the book at the time it is borrowed is the library's official notice that the book will be due on that date, unless it is called back earlier for another reader. The borrower is responsible for the return or renewal of the book on or before the due date.
Chat with us!
Contact Privileges Staff
Send questions to Privileges / Sterling Memorial Library Circulation
- Phone: (203) 432-1775
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Privileges Office is located on the ground floor of Sterling Memorial Library in the nave.