Yale University will supply permission to publish from collection items only when Yale University is the copyright holder. We cannot supply permission to publish in any other circumstances.
If your intended use of Yale University collection items falls within the fair use limitations on copyright specified in the U.S. copyright law (§ 107, Title 17, United States Code), you do not need our permission for that intended use. We cannot determine for you whether or not fair use applies to your intended use.
For permission to publish from collection material for which Yale University does hold copyright, the following terms and conditions apply:
- For quotations that fall outside of fair use, we will supply permission to publish and no fee is charged.
- For commercial publication or distribution of facsimile reproductions of collection items, we will supply permission and charge a use fee. This includes any publication for which the author receives a payment or royalty. The fee may be waived for non-commercial publication, including dissertations submitted for a degree at an academic institution.
- For a non-commercial publication, you must supply a statement as to the non-commercial nature of your intended use as part of your Application for Permission to Publish Manuscripts and Archives Collection Material for which Yale University is the Copyright Holder.
- All approved uses of collection material must include a credit line, the exact form of which will be specified on notice of approval.
- Permission granted by Yale University is non-exclusive and does not remove the author’s or publisher’s responsibility to guard against infringement of rights that may be held by others.
- Fees for permission to publish collection material for which Yale University is the copyright holder are separate from fees charged for supplying digital facsimiles of the same material.
To request publication permission based on these terms and conditions, you must:
- Complete an online registration for Manuscripts and Archives.
- Contact Manuscripts and Archives staff to discuss your request, and whether or not fees are applicable.
- Manuscripts and Archives staff will supply an Application for Permission to Publish Manuscripts and Archives Collection Material for which Yale University is the Copyright Holder.
- If applicable, you will also be sent an invoice for a non-refundable fee of $60.00 per individual illustration or page.
See the U.S. Copyright Office website for additional information on copyright, and also for information on privacy and publicity rights.
Other resources relating to copyright that may be useful to researchers: