Who can create an Omeka online exhibition?
- A Yale University student or faculty member can create an Omeka online exhibition with the sponsorship of a library department.
- Any Yale University Library staff member can curate an Omeka online exhibition with approval from their department.
What is the relationship of physical exhibitions to Omeka online exhibitions?
- Omeka online exhibitions are created independent of physical exhibitions.
- Online-only exhibitions are encouraged.
What is required of an Omeka online exhibition curator?
- Curators are responsible for contacting the Omeka Expert Users Group to request access to Omeka. Please submit an exhibition proposal, which will be reviewed by the Omeka Expert Users Group.
- Curators will take full responsibility for creating the online exhibition, which includes:
- Gather metadata for exhibition materials.
- Gather and format images of exhibition materials.
- Confirm fair use of each image using Fair Use Analysis Tool worksheet.
- Prepare additional content such as narrative text and captions.
- Plan the narrative sequence and layout for the exhibition.
- Build the exhibition in Omeka using the above components.
- The curator is responsible for addressing any issues that may arise regarding content or copyright.
- Students may assist in exhibition creation at the curator's discretion.
What support is available for creating an Omeka online exhibition?
- Each curator will be assigned an Expert User who can assist with basic technical support and content development advice.
- Expert Users are available to provide guidance but will not create the Omeka online exhibition.
- Technical guidelines for creating Omeka online exhibitions are available in the Handbooks and Documentation tab of this LibGuide.
- The Expert User will review completed Omeka online exhibitions before publishing to ensure that technical standards have been met.
- Yale Library IT will only officially support Omeka for maintenance and migration, should a new system be adopted.
What does maintaining an Omeka online exhibition involve?
- The Omeka online exhibition curator is responsible for reviewing their own exhibitions at least once every year, or following a major Omeka upgrade.
- The Omeka Expert Users Group will notify all curators when a major Omeka upgrade occurs.
- Any problems found during review must be addressed by the curator.
- If an Omeka online exhibition curator leaves Yale University Library, they must designate another person from the sponsoring department to continue reviews going forward.
Use of platforms other than Omeka
- YUL has decided to use Omeka as the single online exhibition platform. No other platforms are supported at this time.
If you still have questions about online exhibitions, please contact a member of the Omeka Expert Users Group.