This guide is a portal to Yale's government information collections and related research tools.
Yale University Library has been a depository for United Nations publications since 1945. The UN depository collection includes:
- official records of the main organs of the United Nations
- sales publications
- United Nations Treaty Series
- United Nations Development Programme and United Nations Environment Programme publications
- other generally distributed documents and publications of the United Nations.
Other United Nations depository libraries in the Northeast include Brown, Columbia, Harvard, New York University, and Princeton. Consult the complete list of United Nations depository libraries for more information.
If you need a quick list of the years and session numbers of the UN General Assembly, consult this page of GA Resolutions.
- United Nations Research Guides
The United Nations Dag Hammarskjöld Library has created excellent research guides on a variety of topics (development, disarmament, human rights, etc.), as well as very thorough resources for understanding UN documentation and how/where to find it. I recommend these guides for anyone undertaking in-depth research with United Nations materials.
- Yearbook of the United Nations (back to 1946)
If you're interested in United Nations activities for a particular year, or in tracing activities over time, this is an invaluable reference resource that provides detailed overviews of the UN's work and concerns. Each Yearbook is fully indexed and includes all major General Assembly, Security Council, and Economic and Social Council resolutions.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights: Original Drafting Materials
Digitized primary sources from the drafting of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1946-1948. From the UN Office at Geneva Archives.
- Orbis (Yale Library Catalog)
- United Nations Official Documents System (ODS)
Full text of United Nations official documentation, 1993-present with some older materials. ODS also provides access to the resolutions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council and the Trusteeship Council from 1946 onwards.
- UNBISnet - UN Bibliographic Information System
Catalog of United Nations documents and publications indexed by the UN's libraries in NYC and Geneva; coverage is from 1979-onward, with older documents added regularly. Also provides some full-text access, including resolutions adopted by the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council and the Security Council from 1946 onward.
- Access UN (1945-present) - Yale subscription database
Materials in Access UN may be available in full text online, or are available in print or microfiche.
- United Nations Sales Publications
Browse publications by subject, agency, and more. Some titles are available in full text online; check Orbis to see if Yale has the publication in print.
- UN Member States On the Record
Provides access to official documents reflecting the views of United Nations Member States. Information available for each Member State includes: the key documents related to its membership in the UN; statements made before the principal organs; draft resolutions sponsored; periodic reports submitted on Human Rights conventions, and more.
- United Nations Documentation - Research Guide
Very helpful guide from the UN Dag Hammarskjöld Library - especially useful for beginning research into UN activities.
- UN-I-QUE (UN Info Quest)
Provides quick access to document symbols/sales numbers for UN materials (1946 onwards). Does not give full bibliographic details, but focuses on documents and publications of a recurrent nature, e.g., annual/sessional reports of committees/commissions; annual publications; reports periodically/irregularly issued; reports of major conferences; statements in the General Debate; etc. Note: UN-I-QUE is no longer being updated as of 2014.
- Access UNDP
The "indexes to proceedings" for the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council and Trusteeship Council provide:
(1) a comprehensive subject index to all the documents (reports, letters, meeting records, resolutions, etc.) issued by the body in question during a particular session/year; and
(2) an index to speeches delivered before the forum in question during a particular session/year.
The UN provides a useful description of the indexes to proceedings.
- United Nations Treaty Collection
The UN Treaty Collection includes all multilateral treaties deposited with the Secretary-General of the United Nations and those formerly deposited with the League of Nations, plus bilateral and multilateral treaties registered with and published by the United Nations Secretariat in accordance with Article 102.
- UNBISnet: Voting Records
The voting records for all resolutions that were adopted, either without a vote or by roll-call or recorded vote, by the General Assembly and the Security Council. Links to the full text of resolutions and provided. Records are retrievable by resolution symbol (e.g. A/RES/43/2), keyword (e.g. human rights), or vote date (YYYYMMDD).
- United Nations General Assembly Voting Data, 1946-2008
Data can be downloaded or analyzed online.
- United Nations Roll Call Data, 1946-1985 (ICPSR)
Data can be downloaded for use in a statistical software package.
- Voting Practices in the United Nations (U.S. State Department)
Annual report assesses the voting practices of the governments of UN member states into the General Assembly and Security Council, and evaluates the actions and responsiveness of those governments to U.S. policy on issues of special importance to the United States.
- Voting Patterns in the United Nations
A bibliography of sources and some digitized State Department reports.
- Nations on Record: United Nations General Assembly Roll-Call Votes
Published collections of the United Nations General Assembly roll call votes, in several volumes.
- Indexes to Proceedings
Beginning in 1975, the Index to Proceedings volumes for the General Assembly, Security Council, and the Trusteeship Council include tables of roll call votes.