Skip to main content
Welcome to the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library's research guide for Pediatrics. My name is Melissa Funaro and I am your department's librarian.
Please contact me with any questions you may have. I can help you with:
- literature searching
- locating the best database for your search
- connecting you to resources such as books, journals, or articles
- connecting you to services such as bioinformatics, systematic review, or statistics consultations
- using citation management software such as EndNote
Core Library Databases
Embase lives on the Ovid platform and is good for those interested in topics outside of mainstream medicine and outside of the United States. EMBASE is also particularly good for pharmacology searches, includes conference papers (unlike MEDLINE), and has its own controlled vocabulary system called Emtree.
Compiled by the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), MEDLINE is the world's most comprehensive source of life sciences and biomedical bibliographic information. It contains records from different publications from 1965 to present.
PsycINFO is produced by the American Psychological Association and contains citations and summaries of journal articles, book chapters, books, and technical reports in the field of psychology and psychological aspects of related disciplines including medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacoloy, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business, and law.
service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, is a database of biomedical citations from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed central and publisher sites.
Scopus offers peer-reviewed abstracts and citations in science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities. Materials included range from scientific journals and books to conference proceedings.
Web of Science
multidisciplinary database offering access to a broad selection of journal articles, conference proceedings, book chapters, reviews, and more. Web of Science also offers citation reports that let users view connections between researchers across fields.
Services Provided by a Departmental Librarian
Email me for help with a range of services, including:
- Expert searching of the literature in databases like PubMed
- Orientation to the library and its services for new residents, fellows, or faculty
- One-on-one consultations for your research projects
- Learning how to obtain library materials such as article PDFs or books
- Citation management programs, such as Endnote and Refworks
- Support for Systematic Reviews
- Advice for Keeping Current
I'm available by phone and email. I can also meet in person in your office or at the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library.