What you'll find in this guide
Why the U.S. Census of Population and Housing?
- Constitutional requirement that every person in nation be counted at least once every 10 years beginning in 1790;
- Primary purpose of the census is to provide population counts for reapportionment in determining number of representatives in the House of Representatives;
- Primary source of data for small geographic areas;
- Many Federal programs distribute funds based upon data from the census, i.e., population, income and employment.
This is what you'll find in the different tabs of this guide:
- Decennial Census: finding data and statistics from the censuses that have been conducted in the USA every ten years since 1790.
- Intercensal Years: finding data and statistics gathered between the decennial censuses.
- Guides: companion information for getting the most out of the Census data resources: terminology, geography, etc.
What you won't find in this guide:
- Resources for genealogical research (finding individuals in the census); for that type of census research, consult this brief guide.
Science & Social Science Data Librarian