It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library building hours and access are limited at this time. Services and support are being provided remotely. See COVID-19 library updates.
Additional information about each collection is available in the catalog record in ORBIS, the Yale University Library online public catalog, and/or a finding aid.
(Finding aids are more detailed than the annotations in this guide.
They provide context for the materials described as well as a contents
list, usually to the box and folder level and sometimes to the item
level.) Click on the highlighted titles to access the finding aid.
The American Public Health Association (A.P.H.A) was founded in 1872 as a professional organization of physicians, nurses, educators, sanitary engineers, environmentalists, social workers, optometrists, podiatrists, pharmacists, dentists, hygienists, and other community health specialists. The papers are fragmented and incomplete, but they selectively document the development of organized medical care within the A.P.H.A., including its research into the question of incorporating medical care into public health with special reports on medical care for the indigent, rural medicine, and relations between hospitals and health departments. The records also document the routine operations of the Medical Care Section in the 1960s and early 1970s. Included among the papers are official A.P.H.A. records, copies of other A.P.H.A. material, documents from other sources, journal articles and reprints, and the notes collected by Dr. Arthur J. Viseltear in connection with his research on the development of the A.P.H.A. Medical Care Section.
George Baehr (1887-1978) was a physician, medical educator, and group health prepayment plan founder and administrator. In 1931 he established the Consultation Service for People of Moderate Means, an early experiment in prepaid medical care, at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. Baehr served as advisor on health and social planning to New York City Mayor Fiorella LaGuardia from 1934 to 1945. In 1947 Baehr and others founded the Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York, Inc. (H.I.P.), which was to become one of the largest and most effective group practice prepayment plans in the country, and he served as president and medical director of the Plan from 1950 to 1957.
The Baehr papers reflect Baehr'sactivity in a wide variety of public positions and professional organizations, but are fragmentary and incomplete. Included are files for the Public Health Council of New York State, the Mayor's Committee on Medical Care, 1937-1943, and the Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York, 1940-1978. Coverage of H.I.P. is largely limited to selected background material on the development of prepaid medical care in New York City from 1939 to 1947. Also included are materials relating to U.S. National Civilian Defense, and Vladeck Houses, an early public housing project in N.Y.C.
Kenneth Baum, a U.S. Public Health Service officer, became involved in government-sponsored health planning programs as a management intern with the Hill-Burton Hospital Construction Program. In later work, he participated in various projects under the Comprehensive Health Planning Program and the Regional Medical Program. His papers include memoranda, minutes of meetings, speeches, and congressional publications which chart the development and growth of these three programs and the eventual consolidation of health planning under the 1974 Health Planning and Resources Development Act.
Arend Bouhuys, born in the Netherlands, was a physician and educator. He came to the United States in 1962 and was an associate professor of epidemiology at the School of Medicine, Yale University from 1964-1968, and professor of medicine and epidemiology from 1968-1979. In 1971 he became director of the Yale Lung Research Center. The papers reflect Bouhuys's career as a specialist in lung disease, particularly his research on byssinosis, commonly known as brown lung disease. A portion of the papers are in Dutch.
Leroy Burney (b. 1906), physician and public health administrator, served as health commissioner and secretary of the Indiana State Board of Health (1945-1954), Assistant Surgeon General (1954-1956) and then Surgeon General of the United States Public Health Service (1956-1961), president of the National Health Council (1968-1969), and president of the Milbank Memorial Fund (1971-1977).
Although the papers span 1936-1976, they date primarily from 1970-1976. Series I includes files relating to organizations in which Burney played an active role while he was with the Milbank Fund: the National Commission for the Study of Nursing and Nursing Education, the National Council for International Health, the National Health Council, and the President's Committee on Health Education. The files of the President's Committee on Health Education, which was created by President Nixon in 1971, reflect both national politics in the early 1970s and Burney's interest in health consumerism.
Edward M. Cohart (b. 1909) was a public health instructor at Yale (1948-1978), as well as a physician and public health consultant. The papers document two major aspects of his work: the development of a Cancer Control Program at Yale, a program of both research and personnel training; and a research project, co-directed by William R. Willard, which sought to determine the content and requirements of public health jobs from time studies of public health workers. Both projects were supported by grants from the United States Public Health Service.
Quantity: 12 linear feet
Note: this collection does not yet have an online finding aid; an unpublished finding aid is available in the repository.
The Connecticut Public Health Association (C.P.H.A), a private organization, was founded in 1916 to coordinate health agencies, improve health care delivery, and promote health and health education throughout the state. The records document the history of the C.P.H.A. through administrative records dating from the 1940s-1978. Also included in the collection are the administrative records of the Connecticut Health League. This organization developed out of the Connecticut Public Health Association in 1951 and then merged with the Association in 1974. The Connecticut Health League records span the years 1950-1974 and are complete through 1966.
The Connecticut Regional Medical Program (C.R.M.P.) Records document one of the fifty-six federally funded health programs that originated in Public Law 89-239, one of President Johnson's Great Society programs. The bulk of the papers consist of administrative and organizational records, progress reports, and correspondence. Task Force reports of the mid-1960s outline Connecticut's health care system at that time, and offer a valuable record of medical and dental facilities then in operation. Especially well documented is the C.R.M.P.'s involvement in medical education and the delivery of health care services throughout the state.