- Drag and drop a PDF file or folder of PDFs into the desk top application. Mendeley will extract citation information for that file.
- Type in reference information by going to "File" in the toolbar, and choosing "Add Entry Manually."
Direct Export from your Favorite Database:
- You will need the Mendeley bookmarklet at www.mendeley.com/import.
Writing a Paper
- Install Word Plug in (From tool bar select "Tools"-"Install MS Word Plug In"). Launch your Word program. Click "add ins" from your menu bar to access your mendeley tool bar.
- Put the cursor in your Word document where you would like a citation to appear. Click "insert citation" from Mendeley tool bar. A window pops up that allows you to search your Mendeley library by author, title or year. Select desired reference and click "ok."
- Another option is to choose "insert citation" and then click on "go to Mendeley." This allows you to search for a citation directly within your Mendeley library, click on it, and choose the button "send citation to word processor."
- You can also search groups from your library by choosing "insert citation" and then "My Library."
Create a Bibliography
- Within your Word document, place cursor where you'd like the Bibliography to be then click "insert bibliography" from the Mendeley tool bar.
- To change the citation style, highlight the bibliographic material and click the drop down menu on the Mendeley tool bar. Select a stye listed there.
- Citation styles available in Mendeley