Download "Write-n-Cite Plug-In" for Word (Windows and Mac)
Get started with Write-N-Cite and view the formatting of your in-text citations, footnotes and bibliography – all while you are writing your paper.
Step 1. Launch and Sync Write-N-Cite
Note: The first time you launch Write-N-Cite, you must be connected to the internet in order to log-in to your RefWorks library and sync it with Write-N-Cite. To log-in:
- Click RefWorks from the Microsoft Word ribbon
- Select Log-in and enter your RefWork username and password
- The first time you log in to Write-N-Cite, it will automatically “sync” with your RefWorks library, which may take a few seconds as it is downloading your references and collections. Any time you make changes to your RefWorks items you can click Sync my Database your new and edited items will be added to Write-N-Cite. Write-N-Cite functions will not be available until after syncing has finished.
- To select your citation format style, click the Style drop down and pick a citation format
- Note: change your output style and the formatting of your paper at any time by clicking on another Style in the list and selecting a new output style. Access to other Styles can be gained by using Select Other Style at the bottom of the list.
Step 2: Write a paper and insert citations, footnotes and a bibliography
You may want to sync your RefWorks library with Write-N-Cite if you have recently added items you want to use in your paper. Click the Sync my database icon to download new or updated items.
To insert a citation:
- Click the Insert Citation and Insert New option to launch the insert/edit citation box
- If you have previously used Write-N-Cite, you may see some recently selected citations listed above the Insert New option. You can select citations displayed from this list or access all your references from the Insert New option.
- Once the Insert/Edit Citation box displays, you can access your items by collection or by searching
- Click on the item you wish to insert into your paper.
- You will see a preview of the formatted citation in your current output style
- Click OK to insert your formatted citation into your paper
To insert a footnote:
- To insert a footnote instead of an in-text citation, click the Make Footnote checkbox in the Edit References area.
- Once you make a footnote and finish editing the citation, you will not be able to undo this action. However, you can always add a new in-text citation.
To insert a bibliograhy:
- You can insert your bibliography anywhere in your paper while you are writing. Click Bibliography Options, Insert Bibliography.
- Note: the bibliography will be inserted wherever the cursor is in your paper. You can click Remove Bibliography and re-insert if it you need to change the location.
Step 3: Save your formatted paper (you should really save it periodically while you are writing).