Things to Think About
All Citation Management products have these basic features to help you:
- Gather and transfer references from databases/resources/webpages into your personal research database
- Organize, annotate, sort and search your references, images and PDFs
- Insert in-text citations and reference lists into documents in a wide variety of styles (MLA, APA, etc)
- Create stand alone bibliographies in a wide variety of styles
Check out the Comparison Charts for product special features!
Before you choose, here are some questions to ask yourself...
- Does the tool support the citation styles that you will need?
- Does the tool support the kinds of sharing capabilities that you will need?
- Which databases or websites do you use most frequently? Is the tool compatible with those sites?
- Do you need to capture webpage snapshots? Do you want to store PDFs? What are the file formats that you will be collecting?
- Do you need to work off-line? Do you work from multiple places?
- Do you need a product for a lifetime collection of references?
- Do you need to consider a post-Yale life?
- Do you collaborate with other researchers at Yale and/or outside Yale? What product(s) do others on the team use?
For more information, check out the Comparison Charts!
Finally, you can always change your mind!
Contact your liaison for a quick demo of these products to help you make a decision!