Tips for getting started with EndNote
- From the references drop-down, click on 'new reference'.
- From the reference type drop-down, select material type.
- Enter information and close.
Direct Export from your favorite database (in general):
- Conduct a search and select references to export to Endnote
- Locate and click on 'Export' or 'Send to' or 'Download' button. Follow instructions.
- Consult details for specific databases
Attend a class, watch a tutorial for more information about building your EndNote Library!
Writing a Paper
- Open your document. Locate the EndNote toolbar (Windows: 'EndNote X7' on the ribbon; Mac: View>Toolbars>EndNote X7)
- Write a brilliant sentence that needs a reference. Click on 'Go to EndNote'.
- Select the citation that supports your brilliant sentence by clicking on it once to highlight.
- Locate the 'Insert citation' icon and click on it.
- Watch the in-text citation and reference appear in your word document.
- Is it the wrong style? Click on the style drop-down and select another style.
Attend a class, watch a tutorial for more information about using EndNote to write your paper!
Create a Bibliography
- First, select ouput style by clicking on the 'Output Style' drop-down and selecting your style.
- Select the references you want by clicking to highlight. To select all: Edit>Select All
- Now here's the hardest part - from the Edit drop-down, click on Copy Formatted
- Open a blank document. Paste. Voila
Attend a class, watch a tutorial for more information about using EndNote to create a bibliography!
Yale Specific Stuff
The filter YaleUCatalog.enf can be used to when you need to do a search in Orbis to capture information that the YaleU connection file misses. An example would be non-Roman characters (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, etc). Also, if this makes no sense to you and you want it to, contact your library liaison, personal librarian or Jan Glover [firstname.lastname@example.org]
To download the filter:
- Windows: Program Files>EndNote>Filters
- Mac: Applications>EndNote>Filters
To capture information from Orbis:
- Do your Orbis search
- Save selected results as .txt file
- Go to EndNote
- From File drop-down, select Import
- Browse to the .txt file
- From Other Filters, select YaleUCatalog
- Click ok