|Jul 24 1860||
The Corporation voted to establish the degree of Doctor of Philosophy as recommended by the Faculty of the Scientific School. "Its establishment here would, in the opinion of the Faculty, enable us to retain in this country many young men, and especially students of Science who now resort to German Universities for advantages of study no greater than we are able to afford."
"Certainly Yale and Sheffield are entitled to the credit of introducing amony American institutions the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, demanding for it a high standard of attainments, and never bestowing the honor ... by any irregular promotion."
|Jul 25 1860||
First issue of annual Obituary Record of Graduates of Yale College to be printed. The custom of presenting such a record at the Commencement meeting of the Alumni dated from 1842.
|Jul 23 1861||
The Yale Scientific School named the Sheffield Scientific School, in recognition of "the most considerable benefaction, which Yale College has received from any one man from its foundation."
|Jul 25 1861||
First Doctor of Philosophy degrees awarded in the United States to three graduates.
|Jul 28 1863||The Corporation accepted an Act of the General Assembly whereby the Sheffield Scientific School was to receive the income from the Land Grant Fund of the State.|
|Mar 29 1864||Professorship of Modern Languages established.|
|Jul 25 1865||The Corporation adopted plan for management of the School of the Fine Arts and appointed a "council of five persons, of whom the President of Yale College shall be, ex officio, one and the chairman."|
|Nov 25 1865||Publication of the first number of the Yale Courant.|
|1865||Publication of the first number of the Yale Pot-Pourri.|
|Nov 1 1866||Acceptance of letter of gift from Mr. George Pebody of London for a Museum of Natural History.|
|1866||"Public Lectures to Mechanics" instituted. Later known as the "Sheffield Lectures,'' the course was given annually for forty-four years.|
|1866||Course in Mining and Metallurgy announced.|
|Jul 16 1867||Degree of Bachelor of Divinity first conferred. During the period 1822-1866 the number of students was 883.|
|Dec 1867||Mr. James Jackson Jarves deposited in the School of the Fine Arts 119 paintings from his collection of Italian primitives. They were purchased by the University November 9, 1871.|
|1869||The Yale School of the Fine Arts, the first collegiate art school in the United States and Yale's first coeducational school, opened.|